October 1, 2021

GRATITUDE POST - SEPTEMBER, 2021

September is a busy and happy month; as it reminds me of my daughter’s birthday as well as my own birthday as a mother for the first time. I am so happy about my experiences for the last 20 years watching Maria Dorothy complete every mile stones, and this year she turned 20 J

I am amazed at the faithfulness of the almighty for having been with us in this journey, still recovering from my own disbelief that my little baby is a woman now and is in process of developing her own identity. I started thinking about her early enough to make this 20th birthday a memorable one; after a long thought process I decided that I shall celebrate her birthday for 20 days everyday from 19th August to 7th September 2021. I counted twenty days and 20 creative ways to communicate how much special she is to us and how much we are grateful to God for the gift of her in our lives. I picked up small little things, and wrapped it with gift papers, made cards with old invitations, colored and made simple design, took her out to the beauty parlour, encouraged her to try a new hairstyle, clean up face, remove tan and go for a pedicure, and surprise her with a lunch. Ultimately it’s the experience I wanted to give much more than buying expensive gifts.


The month of September is full of birthdays beginning from David’s Niece Diana to my nephew’s daughter Tabitha and my friend Aparna’s daughter Arushi,  followed by David’s friends two of the kids all in this month. So Glad to celebrate 6 birthdays in this month and appreciating the birthday kids and also spending time with them, cutting cake, enjoying delicious meals and also connecting with families. I love celebrations and am so happy to be surrounded by loved ones and friends, these celebrations energizes me and gives me a break from my routine, so happy and grateful for the gift of life.

On the work front this was the busiest month of the year practically 2 physical sessions in the centre every day for this whole month, adding on was tele counseling, whatsapp chats and documenting, completing the Annual report - ensuring that all the activities at the workplace are updated. The kind of sessions I dealt in this month was serious ones, life threatening, suicidal and harmful; I felt happy in a way that I felt privileged to be in a helping profession, and most of the time it was so demanding that it kept me fit mentally and physically too.. 

This whole month I ensured that I never skipped physical activity, yoga, meditation, prayer, affirmation and of course practiced gratitude every day morning and evening. The more I listen the more I feel the need to give myself time and prioritize my own needs even before I reach out to others, I am grateful to God for the family that supports, and all those who are so helpful that I am able to do my work peacefully.

I am also grateful that I could continue with my research work, glad I was able to visit a couple rural colleges in my state. It was a great experience interacting with the girls and orienting them on my research and collecting data from them, helping them to fill, clarifying their doubts and also interacting with the management – to gain more understanding.

I was disturbed to hear that half of the girls get married even before they reach Degree final year.  The teachers were saying that many would not even complete their graduation, due to early marriage. There were students coming from very long distance to attend college, sometimes they start as early as 6a.m without breakfast or lunch and attend college full day and they get back home and eat.

“Through The Eyes of Gratitude; Everything Is A Miracle” Mary Davis

Almost all of them were Telugu speaking and they could understand English and read too but not very fluently. The faculty also told that almost all the girls are anemic and have deficiencies, HB is very low and struggle hard for not only educating themselves but even to access. There were students from single parents, some of them even working in their fields and first generation learners; hence they do not have support to guide them in their assignments.

Thankfully despite the rain and the lock down just lifted I could take appointment and meet the students personally and collect the data. I am grateful to God for I felt accomplished at the end of my visit, and couldn’t believe myself that I could complete this part of the work. Data Collection- which is an important step in the research process. I am thankful for all my friends for encouraging me, especially Aparna for helping out in booking the cab, and constantly checking on me, it’s a blessing to have friends who care.

This month 8th September is the feast of Our Lady of Health. We as a family did not venture out due to covid restrictions and we were also tired after celebrating our daughter’s birthday, we prayed and attended online mass. In fact I worked at the office that day as I had students coming in to the centre.

I am glad this month Maria Dorothy was selected for an internship programme by the World YWCA along with her friend Annie Priyanka. Both of them are completing their degrees, and have been volunteers at the local YWCA of Secunderabad. It was a proud moment for all of us at the YWCAof Secunderabad, gratitude for all the support we get to encourage, motivate youngsters to get involved and make a difference.


This month so much has happened – I am grateful for all the long distance calls from friends, at times even students who have left the country for better prospects call, whatsapp and express gratitude. I feel overwhelmed and just so happy I have no words to express my feelings.

I am grateful for my brother’s family and my nephew and kids who are in touch and we even went out together for a meal; I appreciate my nephew Sunny for connecting with us and also checking on us… it’s an important aspect especially in this pandemic time.

On the whole this month was awesome and there was delicious food; celebrations, learning, support and help for everything did and am grateful for my family to stand by me in everything, specially David who ensured that my forms for data collection was Xeroxed and kept ready and Maria Dorothy for numbering the forms and also reaching out to me in the household chores and sometimes even cooking while I am busy on my computers completing some research work.


It’s a blessing to have support system like family and friends who bring in joy and also encourage and inspire you to reach one’s potential.  I am glad that we are now moved into the 10th month of the year and we just have another 14 weeks to complete this year 2021. I pray and hope that all of us survive this year and welcome 2022 with faith, hope and optimism.

Thanks for reading my long post, hope your September was great too.. Love to hear your thoughts J

Be Blessed & Be Happy !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget