January 1, 2022

Gratitude Post – December 2021

“Be Present in all things, and thankful for all things” Maya Angelou. 

This month is a special month, as I love to celebrate Christmas, a festival reminding me of God’s unconditional love towards mankind and there are some rich memories that give me joy; I have always loved and looked forward to celebrating this festival. Another important aspect of this day is my birthday that falls on the 29th of this month.

I am grateful for so many things in my life as I turn 60 this year. I am feeling blessed for it has been a long journey and so many experiences in life that when I look back everything has worked perfectly well for me. I am grateful for my parents who have given me a strong foundation of imparting faith in God at all times; they practiced faith with simplicity, accepting traditions as handed over to them by their parents.

I marvel at the way they raised up nine children with limited resources and were always grateful to God. They ensured that every child stepped into the school; they did what according to them was the best. I owe a lot to my parents and can never forget them in my life.  Now as a parent myself I value a lot more for what they have been to me and our family. Some of their memories gives rise to so much of gratitude for them for they found joy in small little things in life.  


Surprise gift from Dorothy,Dress designed by Bakhita with customized mask

I remember with gratitude my friends, teachers, mentors, all those who have been part of my life at various stages in life, in my childhood, adolescence, youth and as young women and now as I move into another stage of life as a senior citizen J(I don’t even feel like one) is because of everything I have received and all these lovely people have made my life rich and wealthy.

I am grateful for some of my friends who took initiative in having a pre birthday celebration, wherein they were constantly affirming me, sharing pictures of me, writing quotes and beautiful lines, sharing experiences of my college days, travel experiences, picnics, get together and some many other things we have done together… this month was so much joyful filled with beautiful experiences, unexpected surprises, lovely gifts that could last for a long time.

At work this month there was just enough counseling sessions, and virtual training to keep me busy. Academically I am glad to see myself progress for  I completed two research papers for publication. I am grateful for my colleagues who were helpful in guiding me to find the relevant research publications wherein I could follow up and submit a couple of research papers, which was accepted and will be published in their journals in the coming months.

Dorothy completed her 3 month internship programme with the World YWCA on the 17th of this month. It was big relief for her as managing her academics and being involved in the church activities was getting stressful. Despite all the stress I am grateful to God that she cleared all the papers of 5th semester exams. I am optimistic that she will do well the next semester which is the last one and she will complete her graduation.

I am thankful for all the long distance call, which was a surprise call from one of my old colleague – we worked together in the previous organisation, she left the country for better prospects and its been years we were out of touch. I am so glad we reconnected and we could just pick up the conversation from where we lef tJ this is the mark of friendship.. we can just begin chatting.. I chatted for almost two hours and was not tired but energetic at the end of the call, grateful for these surprises.  

I am glad to have met my eldest sister’s friend who lives in the city, a nun who was so connected with me after my sister’s death. She occupied the place of my sister in guiding me in education and enabled and empowered me by constant dose of motivation and support and helped me complete my graduation. I felt a sense of gratitude rising in me as I thought about my past and as I turn 60 so I decided to meet her and express my love and gratitude for all that she has done for me and our family.  I am grateful for these beautiful people who are angels not by accident but meant to be part of our lives.  It was great meeting her and having breakfast with her was a memorable experience.

I am also happy that I could make some time in visiting all those places I loved not because of the place but people. I heard that one of my childhood friend has been transferred to the school wherein I studied for 10 years of my life. So I decided to visit her and go around the school taking a lot of information about how the school has progressed as I felt its time to pay forward for all that I have received from this school. She was so happy to meet me and converse with me and I agreed to do some sessions with the adolescent girls and promised to stay in touch and involve myself in reaching out the students.  I came home with a sense of fulfillment that it is the least I can do and I want to do more in reaching out to the disadvantaged children… gratitude is something that compels one to go out of the way and share everything one has for the greater good.

I was also glad to visit the home for prisoners children and meet the kids to see their well being and share some Christmas gifts in a small way to cheer them up, it’s a privilege to do small acts of kindness and the feeling is something one cannot express.. I am grateful and blessed for I see these as opportunities of my life to be able to make small difference in the lives of children who for no fault of theirs have to bear the consequences of the parents choices.

December 8th was my son Emmanuel’s birthday, this year I wanted to visit his school which has now grown and there are so many children with special needs. I preferred to celebrate his birthday with these children – while I interacted with the person in charge, she spoke about the challenges of finding helpers for these children was a very difficult task as nobody want to work for these kids, mental health is a stigma and its getting tougher day by day working with these kids.  I also came to understand that parents do not want to take responsibility in taking care as they are busy making their careers, and prefer to leave them here and willing to pay any amount. Now the organisation is unable to manage and have stopped admission, not because of money but lack of human resources for support. I came back with a heavy heart listening to the challenges faced by this organisation.

Then I found opportunity to meet Mahesh. He is a Down syndrome child and looked after very well by the family. My heart melted when I went to see him,  as he shares his birthday with Emmanuel a day before.  As a family we met him after my Emmanuel’s death in one of the family function and from then on I have been in touch as he reminds me of my son. I could not go last year because of lock down so this year I was happy to meet him and interacting with him was pure joy – the innocent smile and his hugs made by day. He told me about the TV programmes he watches and all the humorous characters of a Hindi serial and how busy he is with doing the daily activities at home. I came home smiling and happy that somewhere deep within myself Emmanuel is alive in my life.

I am glad that this Christmas I had David;s sister Mary and her daughter come home for lunch and we had quite a lot of people, visiting us and it was a nice experience, as we could not meet last two years due to lock down, Christmas gave a new meaning to me this year as I believe its just not the day of birth of Jesus – but our whole life must be a celebration of love, to be grateful not just for Jesus coming into our lives, but we becoming like Jesus in imitating him, carrying him in our hearts, reaching out bringing meaning and purpose to our lives.

The month of December was awesome with so many different experiences – a month of celebration, sharing, caring, spreading joy and being eternally grateful for the very breath of life for we have together survived the pandemic. I thanks every person who is reading this post and appreciate you for taking time to read.

May you be Happy & Blessed!

Wishing a Happy New Year 2022, may this year bring health, healing and harmony to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget