October 30, 2020

October 2020 Gratitude

September disappeared as quickly as it came and soon we have stepped into the 10th month of the Year. I still can’t believe we are in October and another two months the year 2020 ends. The first day of the month began with a Webinar on Suicide Prevention for the students of Engineering College of Osmania University. I was glad I could facilitate this whole process of coordinating with the college, Resource Person and ensure that all the students attended.

I was glad for the response there were more than 100 participants out of whom 92 were students, and it was an interactive session and the students were articulate and the session was useful and informative. I am grateful for the opportunity, learnings and feel happy to be involved in meaningful work that sustains me financially giving me power to save and spend money, emotionally keeps me connected to my students and spiritually pushes me to stay connected to the Divine with constant reminder that I need God’s grace to keep doing good work.

I had enough work to keep me occupied – reports, webinars, zoom meetings and telecounseling and follow up with administrative work at my centre. The end of the month I participated in the 9th International Seminar on Victim Assistance- Challenges and Resilience during COVID19 organised by Centre for Victimology & Psychological Studies (CVPS) & Jindal Institute of Behavioral Sciences (JIBS) OP. Jindal Global University for two full days, as part of capacity building for myself. I am grateful for all the opportunities I get for learning and updating myself with all the emerging issues.

This month was also my nephew Sunny Emmanuel’s birthday – I am glad for the gift of him in our family; and birthdays are special moments and grateful moments. I am happy to spend some time and enjoy a sumptuous lunch in his house along with my family.

I completed 21 years of my married life with David – quite a long journey, as I look back there’s so much to be thankful to God; memories of my mum and all my loved ones, families and friends for being part of my journey and most importantly praying for us and offering support as individuals and also as a family. I and David are truly blessed for having taken this journey, despite the ups and downs of life we have learnt to accept, love and forgive and support each other in moving towards accomplishing our individual goals … and we are still in process of reaching our own destiny.

We had heavy rains with thunder storms and the whole city was flooded, it was such a disaster in certain parts that we had to watch helplessly, water getting into flats, houses, submerging the cars, washing away vehicles that were parked, flyovers overflowing and filling up the roads, pedestrians unable to see the pot holes, drains overflowing  and in certain places there were deaths, and some  people  got drowned in the car talking to their loved ones on their cell phones.

Some areas rescue boats were sent and people were helped to get evacuated, NGOs and well wishers joined together and started collection centres in the twin cities. There were volunteers willing to help in the whole process of reaching out. From the #YWCAof secunderabad we too collected some utensils and dry provisions and delivered to the collection centres who very systematically acknowledged and disbursed it to the distributing units. I thank the Lord for things are slowly getting back to the normal; it will take some time for things to get sorted, I am grateful for all those who not only pray about the situation but also in many small ways are still reaching out to the victims.

There are always surprises in my life and I feel happy and grateful for the small joys – one of David’s friend gifted me with a electric kettle – which is so useful for me and I constantly keep drinking warm water and this was such a thoughtful gift.

I had my nephew sunny who gifted me with a Hi-Fi Sports Wireless Neckband, when he found I was having problem with my right hand; this is such a useful gift to keep my hands free for telecounseling, listening to music, audios. 

My brother one day surprised with custard apples – its been years since I bought them. Somehow it seems like I have forgotten about this fruit. When I saw them I felt so happy as it reminded me of my childhood how much we used to enjoy this fruit and play with its seeds as children. These little things touch my heart and I feel blessed.

My daughter Maria Dorothy surprised me with a beautiful dress, neatly packed with a lovely earring to match. One of my favorite prints and color given to me with great love, for her age I appreciate the time and effort and also her pocket money which is a small amount David gives. These are truly blessings that I love to count and keep reminding myself how lucky I am for the gift of my daughter.

David celebrated 25th anniversary of his prayer group Soldiers of Christ – we had a small celebration with all the precautions taken – ensuring people used mask for protection and sanitizers were placed in the church. There was mass, appreciation and acknowledgement of people who are part of his group followed by fellowship meal. The priest affirmed David and our family for the services and prayed for us in a special manner, the event was on mission Sunday which was a significant day for us.

I am also grateful for friends who check, chat, inspire and motivate too. One of my Friend Aparna invited me and some more friends for lunch on the occasion of their festival. Dusherra is one big festival which is celebrated in a grand manner by the Bengali's – we had a great time, dancing with Dhandiya sticks like kids and enjoyed taking pictures of one another and closed the event with lunch and tea. We were happy despite the pandemic with precautions we could meet for a little while and have fun. Due to Covid we have been house arrest and our movements are limited; go out only to work and come back straight home. This was a good break for all of us.

I am also grateful for a new entry in our extended family, a baby girl was born in this month for my nephew and both his wife and baby are safe. With the given scenario and so many other challenges this is one good thing I am grateful to God.

25th October is my mom’s birthday and like every year I recalled my mother with gratitude for all that she was to me and our family. I re posted what I had written earlier and tried doing some works of kindness to those around me to honor my mother. I felt the best way to pay back for what you received is to pay forward and not expect anything in return.

This month ends on  a Saturday and there’s still a lot more to be grateful for; I had made two tree love post and linked it  http://happinessandfood.com/tag/treelove/

I need to complete another post on #WAWTB Bringing light into darkness.

There is nothing much to complain – with so many things to be grateful for, I am happy to be alive, healthy, active and so is my family. Our basic needs of food (which is always plenty for us and we are glad give away too) clothing and shelter are there along with work to keep us busy, and academics for my daughter, and plenty of opportunities to learn and serve too. With open arms and with gratitude in my heart I welcome the NOVEMBER 2020 with a smile.

How was our October, 2020? Would love to hear from you.

Thank you for reading my post; would appreciate to hear your thoughts.



I thank vidya for initiating this process of forming a gratitude circle and inviting everyone to share the monthly gratitude post.. If you are interested in joining the Gratitude Circle:

Write a gratitude post,

Add the badge

Post it on the last Thursday of the month and

Add your link to the Gratitude Circle. https://vidyasury.com/

Be Happy & Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget