July 30, 2020

July 2020 Gratitude

July was a busy month as I continued to report to work, coordinating and facilitating the work being done in the new centre. At the same time bringing work home to complete as there is no internet connection, to access emails and follow up on whatever is entrusted to me.  

I am glad for the telecounseling sessions that continue and a few of the drop in counseling sessions at the centre. I had challenging counseling sessions with a couple; helping them resolve their conflicts and coming to an understanding to respect mutual decisions. There were other sessions related to anger management, handling fears &anxiety, motivation,depression wherein I had to attend at the centre.


I am grateful for the opportunity for addressing 120 Prison wardens for a couple of days. I spent time in preparing for these sessions, evolving Power Point Presentations, getting an outline done and collecting enough reading materials. It was a great experience interacting with the participants addressing their questions and also learning from them to gain broader perspective on prison and prisoners lives.

Since Lock down I have been trying to experiment in trying out recipes such cakes, sweets and curries. This month could not do much as I was reporting to our centre and work kept me busy.  Being part of the YWCA secunderabad - there are plenty of activities going in Nationally and Internationally. I found that the YWCA of Coimbatore had come out with a book on Culinary Delights prepared by their members and their parents. I thought it’s the best time for me to have one book for occasionally learning and trying out some recipes.  I got book from them as I know that the proceeds of the book will go to their old age homes and other activities which is empowering girls and women.  


I am grateful to be part of a Webinar with a city college, in collaboration with YWCA of Secunderabad. The topic was "The Biggest Lessons Learnt During COVID-19 & The Changes One will Make" I was happy to attend this inspiring session and listen to the Resource Person -Ms Bakhita Francis,  she is the Vice President of the YWCA of Secunderabad and also World YWCA Board Member.

Glad for the regular Zoom meetings with Friends, times to stay connected and update one another about the situation at home, and how we are coping with the pandemic; how we are spending our time and sharing some old memories of student days, the recipes we have been trying and sharing some of the recipes. This month I tried to make cake and a couple of vegetarian snack, one was the pannier pakoda and another one was the cutlet with soya granules.


My daughter attempted the harabara khabab, not very perfect but I appreciate her attempt. I am grateful for all those lovely family friends who keep sending something or the other to taste for the birthday’s of their children and find some occasion to celebrate.  I am always blessed to have enough and more food that I keep sharing with immediate extended family and friends.

Happy for the long distance chats with COVID 19 lock down, it was great to connect with old colleagues and relatives  checking their well being. Old friends are always a joy to interact and I love to speak to them and stay connected, the best thing is you can call them anytime and still feel as though we have met recently.

This month I got a reminders by one of our friends about the World Appreciation Day.  This brought to my mind some of the key persons who helped me during my tough times and I just started messaging them randomly telling them how much I appreciate them for what they had been in my life. This was such a useful exercise and   I felt joyful and energized when I saw their responses to me on whatsapp.











  

This month was the birthday of my sister in law who live close by with one small daughter. We decided to celebrate and we spent an evening with her family, cutting the cake and celebrating life. Birthdays are always a reminder that we are alive and have been granted another beginning of our life. Mary is the only sister for David and she lost her husband and lives on her own, and works as a tailoring teacher. 


This month I was  disturbed as one of our friend was diagnosed with third stage of Lung Cancer and has been on treatment. Its always upsetting and it took some days for me to believe that this is happening in life. It’s not easy to accept and it’s painful to hear about the process of treatment. It is such a helpless situation as I could only send a small encouraging note and assure my friend of my prayers. But I am optimistic with courage and determination one can fight anything, and hopefully wait for recovery of my friend.

I am also happy that my daughter is growing up in age and grace. She helps both me and David in everything we do at home.  She’s been sweeping the house, washing vessels and drying clothes on a regular basis and also attending her online classes from morning till evening. With helper not coming, it’s a relief when we can learn to manage everything on our own.

I was impressed one day while I was away to complete some outdoor work, she sent me a picture on the whatsapp after she had cleared the clutter in her room, especially books and clothes. I was thinking to tell her about how badly she has kept her room; and I am glad that I did not tell her and before I could articulate my thoughts, she’s sorted her room. Sometimes when we give space and show unconditional love to our children without judging them, they learn to become responsible.

I watched a couple of Hindi movies this month, one is Dhoni the untold story and another one was Vicky Donor – I enjoy watching movies and as much as possible I avoid movies that has too much of negativity and violence.  This month I also enjoyed an English movie - Royal Match Maker which was on Romedy Now and thanks to my daughter who keeps reminding me of the movies that plays on different channel and also recommends me to watch some of the movies.

I am also grateful that this month I could play carroms at home every other day, with my daughter and had lots of fun; it’s been years since I played and it was a great surprise gift from my daughter one evening, she just walked in with the carrom board, and coins. What touched me was that she used her pocket money to buy it… I was moved by her generosity and  felt so blessed and grateful for these small joys.


There was also a Webinar planned for the faculty of the University, organised and implemented by us so ensuring that everything goes smoothly – contacting the resource person and working with the other staff for online registration, banner and sending out emails to the key persons who would help us in contacting the Principals & departments to inform the faculty and help us in getting the participants. I am grateful that I had interesting work to coordinate and also giving me opportunity to learn.

This month there was two deaths of persons whom I know and every time some one dies it gives a reminder to me that life is temporary; I must be prepared to leave anytime to move out of this earth in a peaceful manner- . The time is so short and its so important that we don't  waste  time with people who constantly create drama’s and keep pulling us  in their circus… 

I am glad to be able to make choices to protect my peace and focus on my own goals. Ultimately I believe each of us are here for a purpose and its up to to us to reach our highest potential.

I thank vidya for initiating this process of forming a gratitude circle and inviting everyone to share the monthly gratitude post .If you are interested in joining the Gratitude Circle:


Write a gratitude post,

Add the badge

Post it on the last Thursday of the month and

Add your link to the Gratitude Circle. https://vidyasury.com/

How was your June month – hope you are doing well; I would love to hear from you and appreciate if you share your thoughts.

Be Happy & Be Blessed!

4 comments:

  1. I hope your friend is able to tackle the health-related issue and gets batter soon.

    Being the father of a grown-up son, I will fully agree with your view: "Sometimes when we give space and show unconditional love to our children without judging them, they learn to become responsible."

    Well, here, this month marked the dramatic increase in the number of positive cases in Bengaluru. What used to be around 1,000 per day is now around 2,000 a day. Along with that in my apartment complex there are patients. Today, we have the fifth one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being here; yes my friend is coping very well, these days chemotherapy is given through tablets and the impact is the same, hair fall, blisters etc... so far by God's grace she's getting determined to fight it. I am still learning to do whats best for my daughter and help her to be responsible. Sorry to hear the state of positive cases in Bengaluru... I only pray and hope that we pass through this phase with faith and trust in God.

      Delete
  2. What a fulfilling and challenging work you seem to be involved in Angela; hats off to you for being able to conduct such sessions and helping out so many people.

    Wishing you a very happy and productive August ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Shalz for your kind words, its always a great feeling to be acknowledged for the work we do and i am blessed to have persons who recognize our work. Appreciate you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget