April 2, 2018

April blogging #A-Z 2018- B

This post is written for the April blogging #A-Z 2018. 
I have chosen the theme Books and Authors for this year.
B - Bible
When I thought about this letter B-  two books came to my mind, one was the Bible which was introduced to me in my youth and another one was “Born to Win” a book that I borrowed from the library and read it. 

Both the books had a great impact on me, and my life. The first one was an inspiring and I continue to read till date, according to the seasons followed in the Catholic Church. Hence I shall focus on the first one.


The bible is a collection of books that the Catholic Church believes, that it was inspired words of God. It’s like a library of books that were written over the course of a thousand years.  It is considered sacred literature because it is inspired by God himself.  There are 73 books in the bible and it’s divided into two parts, the Old Testament that has 46 books and the New Testament that has 27 books.   
Being brought up in the catholic faith I was always fascinated by some very beautiful stories that appealed to me as a child. I still remember the popular stories in the old testament and loved to read – Story of Creation, Cain and Abel, Tower of Babel, Noah’s Ark, Sodom and Gomorrah, Crossing the Red sea, Daniel and the Lion’s Den,  The story of Joseph, David and Goliath, Job, Ruth, Esther, Samson and Delilah and there are many more which are thought provoking books giving us learning’s and  lessons.

Then there is the New Testament books that focuses on Jesus - birth, miracles, teaching, preaching and some very beautiful sermons on the mount, parables with great insight on love, forgiveness, mission and the very purpose of his life here on earth.

I enjoy reading even now as I follow the daily readings in the church and would love to begin my day with bible reading to inspire myself and derive strength for my daily living. Some of my favorite affirmations from the bible I have learnt over the years and I still practice:

 “Fear not for I am with you” Isaiah 41: 10
“I am with you always, until the very end of time” Matt. 28:20
“I have loved you with an everlasting love” Jer 31:3
“You are created in the image of God” Gen. 1:27
“All things work together for good for those who trust God” Rom. 8:28
“I will trust in the Lord with all my heart” Prov.3:5
“I am fearfully and wonderfully made” Psalm 139:14
“I am never alone, God is always with me, He will never leave me nor forsake me” Joshua 1:5
“I am a child of the most High God “Psalm 82:6
“I am the light of the world, the salt of the earth” Matt. 5:13-14 
The second book Born to win by Muriel James & Dorothy Jongeward,was one of the best seller at that time, that speaks of Transactional Analysis (TA) a psychological method that uncovers the roles we play unconsciously.  I don't have this book now, but I remember it was quite interesting and enjoyed reading this book.

I am glad to be participating in this challenge; if you are part of this challenge, hope you are doing well.

Thank you for reading my post, would appreciate your thoughts in the form of comments.

Be happy and Blessed !!


8 comments:

  1. I have never read the Bible. Our school was run by Mission Sisters so we used to have a lot of small books which had stories and messages from Bible. In fact I had even subscribed to newsletters and booklets from various organizations during school days. But all that ended after school, but the learnings and messages from the Bible has stayed with me. Thanks for sharing and reviving some old memories and lessons, Genevive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear that you have studied with the sisters,nice to know that you had subscribed to new letters and booklets during your school days. feels good to know that I have revived some old memories and lessons.

      Delete
  2. The Greatest Story Ever Told - the Bible! I love also reading psychological analyses of books from the Bible - eg Jung's Answer to Job. (my small study group studied this last year, reading from the original in the King James first before we tackled Jung's exposition of it). Your quotes are beautifully meaningful Genevive thank you. I too find comfort in them. The gospels are so beautiful and touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan I am fascinated by how you read psychological analyses of books... I like the post on lilith. Jung's answer to Job sounds interesting... have you published psychological analyses, I would love to read. Glad you like the quotes, I memorise and keep affirming myself ..

      Delete
  3. I used to read the bible a lot as a kid and also in college, thanks to my convent upbringing. Gave me so much hope and inspiration. Interesting theme here Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know that you have read the bible as kid and also in your college. Thanks for being here, appreciate you:)

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful affirmations, you have shared. They would instill optimism in a person in good and bad times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shesha, I am glad you liked the affirmations, agree that it would work positively on anyone who practices:)

      Delete

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget