June 28, 2012

Make Gratitude a Habit


This summer season we enjoyed eating a lot of mangoes, and this fruit is something that we everybody in the family enjoys.  Especially my daughter loves mangoes, and we always make sure, that we have enough of it at home for my daughter.

A few weeks ago, David’s friend brought some mangoes from his village, and sent it to our family; the mangoes were so delicious, that we had a good time enjoying the mangoes at home.  So for two days I was bringing mangoes for lunch at the office, and while I ate my lunch, I enjoyed every bit of the taste of these mangoes – while doing so, my thoughts wandered and a single thought  that came to my mind was, who is the person who sowed this mango seed ?

Who could have been the person who watered this tree  ? and took so good care, that I am enjoying this fruit. A strong feeling of thanksgiving swept my heart – here am I eating the fruit of a tree which I had not planted, neither have I watered and protected, and still I am enjoying this fruit,  that was waiting for me from all eternity.  The more I ate these mangoes, the greater was my feeling of gratitude, and it became so irresistible that I wanted to share what I was feeling, so I began to write.  

This made me think still further, does gratitude means just feeling grateful and thankful and enjoy of the fruit of somebody else’s labour, I said no in my heart, and questioned myself, what am I doing in my life, so that the coming generation may enjoy the fruit of my labour ? How often I take these things for granted, I consume rice, chapattis, vegetables, fruits etc… but never for a moment think  of the persons with thanks, who have labored ? – now this thought has made me sensitive, but also helped me made a choice in life.  

Never to take anyone and anything for granted, and to look for opportunities to invest some of my time in sowing seeds of kindness, without expecting anything in return. 

  • Save water,
  • Save energy,
  • Protect plants, and if possible plant a tree
  • Get vehicle checked for pollution, 
  • Keep a check on my attitudes
  • Be constantly positive in my thinking,
  • Send vibrations of love, peace and joy not only to my family, friends, near and dear ones but also to the planet earth!

I accept with gratitude, whatever comes into my life, and now I make a choice to be aware of these simple blessings in life. 

As Thomas Merton says:

“To be grateful is to recognize the Love of God in everything He has given us – and He has given us everything. Every breath we draw is a gift of His love, every moment of existence is a grace, for it brings with it immense graces from Him.

Gratitude therefore takes nothing for granted, is never unresponsive, is constantly awakening to new wonder and to praise of the goodness of God.  For the grateful person knows that God is good, not by hearsay but by experience.  And that is what makes all the difference” 

Be Happy & Be Grateful!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget