April 27, 2015

W for Warangal


Warangal District is situated in Telengana, India.  It is one of the largest cities of Telengana, and the largest Municipal Corporation of the Sate is in Warangal that encompasses three cities namely Warangal, Kazipet and Hanumakonda.


I have visited this place as a student – I was part of the NSS (National Service Scheme) programme in St Francis Degree College, Hyderabad.  NSS is a voluntary association of young people in colleges, organized by students themselves and both students and teachers through their combined participation in community service get a sense of involvement in the tasks of nation building.


I am glad to have been part of this programme, wherein every year we had 10 days camp, which was also aimed at developing student’s personality. I remember we had a great time in the osmania university campus where we enjoyed making cricket tracks for campus students and also planted thousands of eucalyptic trees.


Another year we assisted in laying roads in Warangal district; and we also went for sight seeing. Some of the popular places we visited were the Warangal forts which is spread over 19kms, constructed in the 13th century.  This fort is famous for its intricately carved caves arches and pillars and four large stone gateways, the temple inside the fort is dedicated to the mother earth, swayambhudevi.


Then there is the  very famous thousand pillar temple situated on the slopes of the Hanumakonda Hill.  This temple was built by a kakatiya king and is built in the shape of a star.


I remember the good old college days with gratitude; and thank God for all these opportunities in my life, feeling a lot richer and happy !!

I am not waiting for old age !!!

Be Blessed & Be Happy!

6 comments:

  1. this is lovely Genevive thank you! I love the sounds of the words and names - Warangal, swayambhudevi - what a lovely name for Mother Earth ... (it's got the word way and yam in it ..)
    What lovely cushions you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy, glad to know that you love the sounds of the words... I hope to create a lot more cushions to relive moments and memories.. in my life.. I remember a quote that says"everybody fears old age;yet very few attain it... so I have already started enjoying all the moments, as it comes to my mind.. this challenge has provided opportunity for me to search, dig and get all the beautiful moments of my life....nice to hear, and eager to read your next post about dreams...

      Delete
  2. I second what Susan said about the sounds of the words and names. I had to read your post aloud because they're so irresistible.
    It must have been a hard slog planting all those eucalyptus trees. Have you been back to see the results of all that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to tell you that I work in the same university as a counselor,helping students deal with general psychological issues... and when I ride through I see the Eucalyptus trees tall and swaying happily... and I get a thrill ... its been so many years and how time flies..

      Delete
  3. Such lovely memories. Like Susan said, you have some amazing cushions. :)
    *Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shantala.... hoping to create only positive and lovable memories for the rest of my life...

      Delete

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget