April 18, 2015

P – For Pondicherry

Pondicherry is one of the most fascinating places to visit in south India; it is 162 kms from Chennai, Tamilnadu, India. I have heard a lot about this place from a few of my friends who have been to this place.  This place is also known as Puducherry, which means New city in Tamil.



One of famous place to visit here is  Auroville, means city of Dawn which is 8kms west of Pondicherry. Auroville was designed by a French architect Roger Anger. Auroville is meant to be a universal town where men and women of all countries are able to live in peace and progressive harmony, above all creeds, all politics and all nationalities.  The purpose of Auroville is to realize human unity





It is said that during the inauguration ceremony of Auroville in 1968, soil from 124 countries was placed in a lotus-shaped urn and mixed to symbolize universal oneness. This project is endorsed by Government of India and UNESCO





There are a lot of places for sightseeing, lovely beaches, temples, churches, mosque, measum, botanical gardens, parks etc revealing French and the Portuguese influence. It is easy to take a walk around this town that represents three different kinds of architecture, the white town or the French area, the Tamil square and the Muslim square.  

I am grateful for these pictures I could get from Google; and reading all the information was truly motivating and inspiring... Hope to visit this place some day, I am adding to my list...

Today was a difficult day ! I congratulate myself for managing to do this post at this time.. hope to catch up with what I have missed for today...

Thanks and appreciate you for being here..... would love to hear from you !
Have a great weekend!!


12 comments:

  1. Thank you for your beautiful photos and introduction to so many interesting places in India. I love to visit so many different places through the A to Z challenge bloggers. Maria@Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to connect through the A-Z challenge, and am glad you liked the photos, pray and hope that you dream of visiting different places come true..

      Delete
  2. Thank you Genevive for this beautiful post including Auroville in it. This is very inspiring to me to imagine soil from 124 countries placed in a lotus shaped urn.
    I hope you're having a pleasant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, have been missing your post... its been a busy and tiring weekend, despite so many experiences in life; I am glad for having able to strike a balance and keep healthy..

      Delete
  3. That was a lovely introduction to a place I'd love to visit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked this place... hope you get a chance to visit.. I am very eager to visit this place with my family. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. I have been to Pondicherry and I did have a good time. Your post made me remember them :)
    Have a look when you get time - https://happinessandfood.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/magical-mahabalipuram-picturesque-pondicherry-a-photo-story/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Parul, thanks for sharing the link... I loved reading and now two places are confirmed - Mahablipuram and Pondicherry... thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing the information. The pictures are lovely as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked this Jyotsna.. nice to connect with you here..

      Delete
  6. Oh, that is really on my Want-To-Visit-list - and even more now, reading you lovely tale from there. The pictures are gorgeous. One day, I will get there. You are doing so great on the challenge - love your posts - I find it hard myself to catch up now... Puh:-) Happy to be in this together:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli, glad that you are interested in this place...Don't worry we are in the same boat. I have still searching for Q & R... I am admiring your posts -they are so meaningful.. .. thanks for being my inspiration..

      Delete

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget