July 18, 2012

Stephen R Covey


I found in yesterday internet news that Stephen R covey, 79 years died, and he was surrounded by his family members as he desired.  I felt sad for this great guru who has made a huge difference in the lives of millions of people all over the globe. 

 I remember a few years ago reading one of his best seller “7 Habits of Highly effective People” it was one of most enlightening and motivating book.  I had read the book more than once, and in fact my mission statement was evolved from reading his book.  For the first time I felt challenged to see  myself in a new way, the process was a difficult one because of my own conditioning of what I had heard about myself,  been told, and experienced in my life.   

As rightly pointed out in his books, there is only one way to improve our  situations, and that is to take charge of ourselves and our lives.

Every habit he spoke of made a lot of sense to me and has influenced not only my thinking, but also my decision making, it helped me become proactive and pushed me to set my priorities right, and made me relook at my goals, and had led me to an  understanding of  myself  and others better.

Today I am grateful for this person who has touched my life through his writings, and continues to inspire me with his experiences. I remember talking about this book to one of my friends, and later on received his book “7 habits of Highly Effective Families” as a wedding gift to me. I cherish his books and recall some of my favourite quotes from his book:

“We see the world, not as it is, but as we are or, as we are conditioned to see it”

“To change ourselves effectively, we first have to change our perceptions”

“If I really want to improve my situation, I can work on the one thing over which I have control – Myself”

“We are free to choose our actions… but we are not free to choose the consequences of these actions.”

“Most of us spend too much time on what is urgent and not enough time on what is important” 

“I am not a product of my circumstances; I am a product of my decisions”.

“To touch the soul of another human being is to walk on the holy ground”

“There are three constants in life….Change. Choice and Principles”.

“Live, Love, Laugh, leave a legacy”

“We are not human beings on a spiritual journey.  We are spiritual beings on a human journey

 May you be inspired too !
·   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget