May 6, 2024

April 2024 Gratitude

“I’m thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn’t have stumbled across my strength” Anonymous

April was full of surprises from the beginning till the end of the month. I was wondering whether I would be able to make this post at all. As life keeps challenging me as I keep moving on with gratitude in my heart, knowing for sure that everything is subject to pass…  and I expect life to be tough, as it keeps me grounded allowing me to grow, in tough times and be healed while renewing my faith and continue to count my blessings. Thanks be to God that despite all odds I could find way to  write this post.

This month I had scheduled weekend classes for Philosophy; I was glad to attend a few of them, even though I desired to attend all the weekend classes, there were other commitments that took priority.

I was at the centre every day and there were not many students, but surprisingly I had some of the students bringing in elders in the family, already diagnosed and on medication for support counseling. I am inspired by their concern and care – there was one student who is studying psychology because of her mom who is depressed with Obsessive compulsive disorder, still I had another parent bringing his son with mental illness.

There were also student who could not come to the centre because of the distance but were depressed and suicidal. This month there were almost 2 to 3 cases related to suicidal ideations due to academic pressure, still others were due to situations they could not handle. My heart goes out to them and I tried my best to enable them to take help and a couple of them I referred to the doctor.

I am grateful for my classmates who are keep updating about what I am missing in the class and communicating and sending me the notes and assignments on whatsapp – so that I too complete all the assignments along with them for submission. I am glad to have people who are supportive showing concern for their classmates.

I am grateful for my colleagues from my previous office who met after a long time; Annie who worked with us for more than a decade had come from US for a short break and she ensured that all of us met together for lunch. I am grateful for these friends who celebrated me by cutting a cake and honoring me for the success of my PHD degree. I admired how Merle baked this special Rum cake for me and also made this beautiful crochet of the shawl with my favorite color. I am filled with thankfulness for the time she has taken almost a month to make this beautiful shawl. I appreciate her efforts and patience, the time she took despite being regular at her work place. 


I had a great time connecting with them and it was so much fun enjoying a sumptuous meal and also meeting the rest of the gang- some of the traveled from other state after their retirement. Thanks to Merle the admin of our whatsapp group who plans these events for the group.  It’s a blessing to stay connected with our old friends who are a joy to meet; for they bring in happiness and fond memories of our past.

This month I watched one Telugu movie DJ Tillu square, a sequel to the 2022 film DJ Tillu which I watched along with Dorothy, it was fun and entertainment.  Also watched an English movie Confessions of a Shopaholic on Television, enjoyed how the movie shows addictions can damage a person’s life, very relatable how youngsters can get into addictions with plenty of humor.

This month I was due for my eye check up- I am grateful for the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) wherein David has a provision for the family, we have an access for health care. When I went to the dispensary, they gave me a list of hospital where I can get my eye checked. I chose Maxi Vision which I had gone earlier in 2019 and they said this hospital is not covered under the CGHS. 

I found this hospital is covered under this scheme now which made it easy for me as they had the old records and details of my check up –I am grateful  that everything was lined up for me and I did not have to think much about anything as the process has been made much easier. Just with a permission letter the hospital begins the process and it’s a blessing that all the tests were done, some nine of them and everything was normal.

I am grateful to God for the good health, and one cataract surgery was done for my right eye on the 17th April and another one was recommended within a week, so I got my left eye cataract was done on the 25th April 2024.


I am grateful for my place of work that gave me the required time to get both the surgeries done and as per the doctor’s check up and review I am responding well and still in process of healing I am wearing the dark glasses whenever I need to go out especially to the hospital.  I can’t believe that that I had gone through two surgeries with a span of week in the same month. I am grateful for every person who encouraged me, helped me. When the first surgery was done I had two of my friends along with me in the hospital like angels waiting for me to come out of the operation theatre, along with David and Dorothy.

When the second surgery was done I had Arushi my friend’s daughter with Dorothy and David. I believe that these angels were sent from above and the right time of my life; and I was overwhelmed with gratitude as I believe that God’s timings are perfect.

I feel blessed for my daughter Dorothy who was so particular in following the doctor’s advice and she was with me every day putting eye drops every hour, she timed on the cell phone and ensured strictly that I don’t enter the kitchen and  along with Anuja my sister in law who was great help. With David around and my friends regularly visiting me I am able to recover fast. The next appointment with the doctor is in the last week of this month.

The eye drops to be continued as per the doctor’s instruction – and I am able to work from home, talk to my students. I am able to help them out with referral services and still others I did tele counseling session.

I am gradually allowed to wash my hair and also get back to work, and to my regular routine…but with a lot of precaution. I continue to   wear the dark glass when I come out in the sun and keep walking at home, listening to worship songs, sometimes to pod cast, and still at other time I listen to academic lectures related to philosophy.  I miss riding my bike and attending church too, I  attend the  online mass and keep listening to inspiring videos.

I am grateful for the gift of  David in my life, and this month was his  Birthday on the 30th April, we cut a small cake at home and he celebrated in the evening with his friends. I did not want to take a chance to go out in the night. But David ensured that I got my share of biryani J in the evening, as he knows, I  prefer early dinner so  he ensured that my dinner reached by 6.30 p.m and I enjoyed my dinner along with my sister in law who gave me company.

I am grateful for every person who I met in this month especially the doctor’s team who treated me with so much gentleness and my friends who stood with me holding my hands assuring me that they are praying for me. I am blessed to have people at my work place who kept me updated about the centre. My daughters friends too came home to see me and my nephew and sister in law were always there checking on me and praying or me.

 I am thankful, grateful and blessed for everything that has gone by.  I am looking forward to this new month with my new lens the world is looking much brighter and beautifulJ

 Thanks for reading my post, hope you had a great April 2024!

 Be Blessed & Be Happy !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget