September 9, 2022

Gratitude Post for August 2022

“IF YOU WANT TO FIND HAPPINESS; FIND GRATITUDE”

Steve Maraboli

31 days of August 2022 is gone and we are already in the 9th month of the year completing 252 days today. Another 113 days left for 2022 to be over and we move into another brand new year. I feel blessed that we have  not only survived the COVID 19 pandemic and the other new variants but have moved on in every aspect of our lives – this year, with David retiring from work, my daughter completing her graduation, and I submitting my thesis for approval and we are sill continuing doing our bit and finding happiness and fulfillment in everything we do. I am happy and grateful to bid good bye to August. Here is my gratitude list.

This month a lot of things happened, but I am highlighting some, beginning with gratitude for a long time friend who has always been helpful and challenging me to achieve more and pushing me when I get comfortable and settle in a comfort zone. Thanking God for the gift of aparna as she celebrated her birthday in the beginning of the month, it was nice to acknowledge and appreciate her and also share a meal enjoying the company.

I am happy to visit a doctor couple who have committed for community development and have been working tirelessly responding to various issues in the community, Dr Prakash has been a colleague and we worked together in the previous organisation, and now he has started various initiatives like open house, wherein he allows any one who is looking for a place to rest, rejuvenate and move on… the house accommodates strangers who take time to rest, cook their own food, read books (he has collected over 1000’ and more books from the community) and move on or even come back and volunteer in his programmes, his wife Dr Kameshwari has worked in the rural areas on women's health addressing menstrual hygiene, hysterectomy, nutrition thus saving lives of so many women and they  have been recognized and even received prestigious awards. It was a day well spent and I was glad to meet them and through them also meet some more persons who are involved in community work. I feel grateful to God for all these experiences in life.

I am happy for a reunion meeting of my school mates – there were different batches, of the 70’s and 80’s who gathered together on independence day this month – our batch from 1977 were 10 of us and it was such a pleasure to meet each other after 45 years of our lives … and we had lots of fun visiting our class rooms and sharing our funny moments, imitating and expressing our gratitude for the teachers. We were all given mementos along with heavy snacks and we were given time to talk about ourselves… its was heart warming to listen to one another, our success, failures, wounds, struggle, challenges and our current status… I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the school as I spoke about my experience of this school and how it was empowered me to work in the area of mental health, my gratitude to all the teachers who were kind, generous and worked hard in helping and enabling us in laying the foundation of education to us… this was a overwhelming experience and we decided that its time to pay back to school in whatever way possible… I am grateful for these moments which are memories now and I feel blessed and happy.  

I am grateful for the constant support of friends who create opportunity to meet, which I enjoy with the kind of work I do – I constantly need breaks, meetings, going out, watching movies and just spending time so that I am always refreshed to function at optimum level. These are not just privileges but small joys of life that keeps us not only happy but active and healthy too. I am happy for these moments and feel blessed and connected.

This month I am glad to attend a webinar on Depression and Suicide Prevention Awareness programme an initiative by Indian Psychiatric Society- Public Education & Awareness Sub committee, Dr Mahesh R Gowda was the resource person and he spoke extensively on the above about the awareness on Depression and how one can prevent suicide.

Grateful to YWCA of Secunderabad for the opportunity- I took a session on Mental Health with reference to suicide prevention for the Government school teachers; there were 30 to 35 teachers from two different schools from the same area and the response was very good. I was so happy to interact with them as they reminded me of my teachers. I acknowledge the contribution of my teachers to my growth process as I spoke to them and they could relate to the examples given and they thanked me and suggested that they would be glad to have quarterly sessions as a refresher programme.

I am delighted to connect with an old friend who worked with me in my previous organisation, we were good friends and after we parted from the organisation, we got busy with our lives, she is a God mother to my daughter Dorothy, she moved to Canada and settled there with her family, she messaged me on whats app that she would be coming to Hyderabad and would love to connect. I was happy as it was more than a decade since we met. Grateful that we could meet, chatting about everything updating one another and also enjoying great meal.. it was fun and feel good factor catching up with a good old friend, feel blessed to have these relationships that makes life beautiful.




I am happy to watch a Hindi movie Lalsingh Chadda, the remake of Forest Gump – it was a slow movie, but after watching in English and to watch the same in Hindi was a different experience. I always loved Amir khan’s movies so expectations were high. Some how never matched up to the English version, as the movie in English was a classic winning Oscar awards. But still happy and grateful as I went out with my friends and sometimes when you are with friends, even if it’s a flop movie we enjoy the company so much that we don’t much analyse the content and review it…these outings and watching movie gives a good break from the routine and am happy and grateful.

I am also grateful for the invite for a small function in the house and it was and an expression of gratitude and since it was close just a 1 km from my place. I did not mind going out and it was so refreshing in the evening hours enjoying light dinner and connecting with a different group of women was an experience by itself. I was impressed and inspired by these women, wherein most of them working both at home and at different places. I felt happy and thankful to be there for a while....

Then there are so many small little things, like the neighbor constantly sharing some snacks, a helpful colleague who goes out of the way to get the job done, the papers that I had published, in fact this month there were two publications and my guide is very happy. I even completed the third draft of my thesis.

The kind people I meet in ordinary situations of life – the mechanic who repaired and serviced my bike, simple people who serve us and help us maintain our routine – the person who supplies milk at door step, the grocery person who delivers at the door step, the driver who picks up garbage every day from our homes, the part time student who delivers newspaper daily and there are so many who are helpful and generous too.  Above all I am grateful for being alive, breathing, with all the basic necessities of life, a family to support, work that brings meaning and friends to cheer.

I am Happy, Grateful and Blessed !

Thank you for reading my post J I would love to hear from you,

Be Blessed & Be Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget