May 27, 2020

May 2020 Gratitude & 81st Tree Love

I am glad to combine two different posts; being the last Thursday of the month – it gives me joy to count my blessings for this month. Hence I am combining Gratitude Post & Thursday Tree Love post as I enjoy joining Parul in posting pictures of trees.

Despite the lock down and the heat there’s still so much to be grateful for. Here goes my list:

I was glad to attempt some more new recipes – experimented with egg less cake, garlic bread, banana and chocolate cake with hide and seek and oreo biscuits.

“Gratitude and Attitudes are not Challenges; they are CHOICES”  Robert Braathe

I am glad to talk to the students on The Challenge of Corona virus -Managing Interpersonal Relationships Communication, grateful for the invitation to be the speaker for the Webinar organised by one of the city colleges.

Glad to be on a panel for discussion on Right Communication in the context of COVID 19 combating Domestic violence, along with the other guests on a Webinar.

I am grateful that despite the situation there is still so much I can do, not only in terms of working from home and coordinating, but also respond to telecounseling.

It’s always a pleasure to connect with old colleagues, (she was stranded because of lock down, and waiting for the ports to open.) It was great to catch up, recall some of our experiences and laugh aloud once again at the funny moments. It was so refreshing to be transported to the past for a brief while and re live with happiness. I am grateful for this opportunity.

Glad to watch some Hindi movies – enjoyed Angrezi Medium, Delhi 6 and Good News and Fana. Movies are always a past time for me and would only choose entertainment and movies with social themes.

Celebrated mother’s day by baking a chocolate cake and adding some vanilla ice cream was perfect and delicious. Also wore saree and clicked some pictures with my near and dear ones.


I am glad that I could connect with friends, on conference call, Skype and have meetings with Zoom and Google meet. Learnt so much in the process of getting digitally connected.

I clicked beautiful pictures while I attended work, as the campus is empty without students,  no traffic the roads were clean and the trees looked so happy all around that I was fascinated by the  and felt so grateful and happy.

I felt happy sharing the recipes with my neighbours and friends. They tried the recipe and did a great job as they shared with me to taste what they made, it’s a great feeling of happiness building my own confidence as I teach. 

As a family we continued to have meals together when ever possible as sometimes, David had to report alternate days and I had to report whenever called. We are happy that we are praying together everyday and attending mass on television.

I am grateful for the mechanic who is always willing and ready to attend to my bike that had a break down just near my house; thankful that it did not happen in the campus or on the main roads, with lock down nothing and nobody is available. Since it was close to my house, I did not have a problem and felt grateful for the helpers.

I am also grateful for my nephew’s family who spent a Sunday with us – it’s always a pleasure to have the kids with us. My daughter loves their company and they had a great time playing – UNO, Ludo and Business.   While they were busy Mona (my nephews wife) demonstrated how to make sweet with pure ghee, milk maid and milk powder; it was delicious and am grateful that I learnt a new recipe. I am grateful that David helped me in the kitchen to prepare chicken curry and I cooked fried rice and dal.


Grateful that Ola cabs were resumed so my nephews family could reach us; and myself and Dorothy along with a friend also could go out for a brief while to meet another friend and share home cooked meal.


Ramzan is one festival wherein I never really cook – David’s childhood friend never forgets to send us the Biryani and the kheer. (Sweet dish). Grateful for good friends who are thoughtful and so generous.

Lock down is still not completely lifted, private vehicles are on road and few district buses are plying. The campus has increased the working staff from 33% to 50%. I was able to go out with a mask, sanitizer and maintaining hygiene whenever called at work place and a couple of times to the post office too. 

I also took the car out for small rides within 3 kms almost daily with exceptions on some days.  Grateful that at least we are getting all the provisions from the kirana stores, the vegetable & fruit vendors are moving around selling their products. 

    Today is my second brother Francis Birthday as well as his Wedding Anniversary, thanking God for     the gift of him and his family. Grateful for this family wherein I used to visit whenever I used to go         for parents teachers meeting in Dorothy’s school. I would spend the day with them.


    My daughter loved the company of his grand children and my sister in law Sagaymary is hospitable        and a great cook, we used to have lunch and snacks and enjoy the day and return in the evening.              Now Dorothy is in college so I keep going whenever possible, grateful for these relationships in my         life. 

    We still have roof over our head, food on our table and sound sleep for rest, grateful for we got up         every day of the month alive and active with good health by God’s grace. Even attended work and         did everything we loved to do, giving space and freedom to one another – managing all the                     household work together.

If you are interested in joining the Gratitude Circle:

Write a gratitude post,

Add the badge

Post it on the last Thursday of the month and

Add your link to the Gratitude Circle. https://vidyasury.com

 I am grateful to be part of the Tree Lovers group, who spread green virtually and here’s my tree love post too:

These are a few photographs I clicked while I rode into Osmania University campus Hyderabad. The absence of students was felt, hostels in lock down, main road to the campus blocked with barricades.

I found another short route that goes inside the campus crossing the swimming pool. The campus   looked deserted with only trees and few people on the road. I completed my work and was returning and enjoyed riding on this empty road, good weather, cool breeze and stopped when I felt like clicking some pictures.  

“Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation” Rumi

Osmania University Campus - Hyderabad.


Thursday Tree love  is a photo feature on Parul’s blog hosted on second and fourth Thursday of every month.   You are most welcome to join in, all you need to do is:

Post a picture of a tree on your blog

Thank you for reading this post; I would love to know your thoughts...

May you be Happy &Blessed !

18 comments:

  1. lovely to see this post Genevive! I've seen some of these pictures on Facebook and they always make me smile :) I am grateful for those moments of smiling xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan:) I am glad you are smiling and grateful for these pictures. Hope you are doing well, take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gratitude post is really detailed! Its all the small things that really matter indeed :)
    Loved your tree pics.. always a calm feeling on tree-lined roads such as these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priya, agree with you that small things matters the most. Glad you liked the tree pictures; appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  4. As usual you are too active and got plateful of items to share and feel gratitude. Cake looks yummy. Even I tried twice during lockdown. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa I combined the post and later was wondering whether it will be too much for the person to read a long post. Thanks for your comments and glad to know that you tried cake twice.. I am learning now:) lock down provided me the opportunity.. you too take care..

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful post Angela! Yes, we have to be grateful for everything we have and Thank God for it! The lovely tree lined road must be lovely to walk on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Archana, feel so happy that you liked my post:) and yes its beautiful to walk on that road, but I do miss the students hanging around all over the campus:)

      Delete
  6. How sad to have all those beautiful trees sitting alone without students to enjoy them. But perhaps it gives them a chance to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a heartwarming post. Gratitude something that is so basic... it's like the fuel that keeps this wonderful world running.
    Talking of movies ... Have you seen "Lift Boy"? It's on Netflix. It's sweet little story ...
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your presence here, I appreciate your kind words. My nephew was talking about this movie "Lift Boy" No I have not seen, must watch, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  8. Loved reading this post and made me smile. I loved all your pictures. May you and your family be blessed. Such beautiful times and memories. I would also want the cake recipes. Please do mail me if you can. And I would like to know what temperature and power level you bake things :)
    Thanks for sharing the picture of the university. It's so beautiful. See you tomorrow.

    P.S. I love the new look of the blog. It's very neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Parul:) I am so glad that you loved the pictures and the cake recipes. I will email you its very easy. You will be surprised to know that I baked this cake without an oven:) The University looks so desolate without students - only buildings and trees... Thanks for your constant affirmations, it means a lot to me... happy to know that you like the new look and found it neat:) I am ready with my post for tomorrow:)

      Delete
  9. That's wonderful Angela - being able to play family games, meeting friends and cousins, baking so many delicious recipes. Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramya- these are the positive sides of lock down. I have always been busy with my job, working daily and looking forward for a Sunday or a holiday to connect, learn and enjoy:) no suddenly this unexpected quarantine lead to all this and am grateful to God. Hope you are home and safe, take care.

      Delete
  10. I am delighted to read your post, Janet. I agree that this worldwide situation has actually allowed us to appreciate what we have and connect better with our loved ones. I love that you are addressing students to talk to them about the corona virus. I've been cooking quite a bit and experimenting too. May sounds like a lovely month in spite of the lock down. Please stay safe. Hugs! Thank you for being part of the Gratitude Circle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vidya its a compliment for me to read your comment and am glad to be part of the gratitude circle. I follow you on Instagram where I see your post on affirmations which are inspiring and love the yummy foodie pictures:)

      Delete

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget