April 1, 2017

AGING AND BECOMING


I am glad to pick up this book Aging and Becoming written by Susan Scott and Susan E.Schwartz.  I was eager to read this book and waited enthusiastically once I got it I started reading and I found it so interesting that I took every opportunity to read this book and completed reading within two days. I loved reading the reflections of both the Susan’s J . Something’s that appealed and triggered a lot of responses from within.

I feel attuned to this book as it clearly communicates that there are no ready made answers available for us in understanding Aging and becoming…… as each of us with varied experiences have our own interpretation and it’s for us to find meaning  through a reflective inquiry. Having recovered from dengue and still dealing with its impact has made me look into my own aging process. My energy level has not remained the same, slowed down. My immune system is no longer strong; and rightly said I would like to distance myself from all those people who have stopped asking questions; which means they have stopped growing too. So in a way I am happy that I got this book at the right time in my life.

“Let me keep my distance, always from those who think they have all the answers.”
Mary Oliver

I enjoyed reading the experiences of other women; and their thoughts about aging and their attitude towards this process. It’s nice to see how both the Susan’s brilliantly merged their ideas and experiences reflecting and sharing their views, perceptions, dreams and their interpretations bringing out value and learnings and connecting it to the growth process.

I need to read this book again for one more time, as it has deeper implications in understanding, accepting challenges as it comes in life; to be able to integrate and apply to my own journey in life; from the learnings of the other women across, there are a lot of issues like retirement, empty nest, sickness, loss, detachment, fears, anxieties, disappointments, dreams and death itself.  I may address all these as it happens and keeps unfolding gradually inviting me to BECOME – a dynamic process …

I liked almost all the quotes in this book and found it very appropriate and relevant to whatever topic the discussion was, a few of the quotes that touched me personally – I just added below.

“We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening and strange that self may prove to be.”
May Sarton.

“Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? we must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this must be attained.
 “Marie Curie

“Our life is composed greatly from dreams, from the unconscious, and they must be brought into connection with action. They must be woven together.”
“You don’t get to choose how you’re going to die, or when. You can only decide how you’re going to live, now.  Joan Baez.

“The only real prison is fear, and the only really freedom is freedom from fear.”
Aung san sun kyi

“Those who don’t know how to weep with their whole heart, don’t know how to laugh either.” Golda Meir

“The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” Anna Quinlen

“If I didn’t define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people’ fantasies and be eaten alive” Audre Lorde

“The great thing about getting older is that you don’t lose all the other ages you’ve been.”Madeleine L’Engle

“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” Sophia Loren

Proud to own this copy :)
I thank both Susan Scott and Susan E.Schwartz who have taken so much effort in bringing out this book which was not only inspiring to read but also provoked me to think deeply about Aging and Becoming. I would recommend this book to all those people who would love to think and reflect on this important subject - Aging & Becoming !!

Be happy J Be Inspired !!

6 comments:

  1. Genevive, that is such a lovely 'review' of my book thank you so so much, I really appreciate this more than you could know ... and such a gorgeous photograph of you! I wonder how I can send it to Susan Schwartz, I'll make a plan ... she'll be delighted. More than the review, I am so pleased that it resonated with you and that you found it of value to you personally. I know only too well how much time it takes to put up a post, so I thank you for your time as well - a precious commodity. Thank you again Genevive. If I could put up a heart I would - I can do this only on my cell and Ipad ... not my lap top but from my heart to yours, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan :) Its my privilege and a blessing too, to have read the book. I am equally glad and excited too for it triggered not only responses from within; but brought back the enthusiasm of getting back to my reading habit, I can already sense the energy thats been coming all the way from your heart to mine :) :) Please forward this to Susan Schwartz and pass on my gratitude to her. I am looking forward to reading the April challenge posts on your blog, thanks for being here, love and hugs!!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You have read Susan's book! That's so wonderful. Am reading the excerpts of her book on her blog which she is sharing as part of A to Z Challenge. Pretty insightful and thought provoking it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes shilpa :) I am glad to have got this book; and I believe its timely intervention in reference what ever is happening in my life. I am gradually getting back to my reading habit and this gives me so much energy, thanks for being here...

      Delete
  3. Yeah, me too! Reading excerpts, and then here I land on a review of the same book! :D
    Her blog is open right now in another tab!
    This sounds like a thought-provoking book.
    Loved all the quotes you have include in your post!
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Chicky @ www.mysteriouskaddu.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet :) feel happy to hear from you, and welcome here and thank you for your comments, glad you liked all the quotes, appreciate you for connecting here !!

      Delete

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget